Friday, January 11, 2008

Times...

Tornado in Washington, 70 degree weather in Pennsilvania... I think the world's gonna end soon.

Ophelia June Whipple turned one month old yesterday. Already a month has gone by, it seemed to go so quick.

Recap: the Labor took about six to seven hours from start to finish. We had the birth at home, in a birthing tub the midwives provided. She sat lengthwise on one end, I sat across from her. Our moms were there, (And the three midwives, of course.) the lights were dimmed, we had soft instrumental music playing in the background, and if people needed to talk, they did so in whispers. It was kind of surreal. Sarah bore it all very bravely, hardly making a noise until the end. She said later that she felt relativly little pain up until the end, which hurt like hell. I caught the baby and handed it to her. As she held the baby and I held them, my mom said, "Congradulations, you just changed the world." I teared up staring at our little creature, covered in a white waxy substance, crying and shivering at the unexpected air. I cut the cord, she popped out the placenta, and we took her to bed.

Three weeks off was awesome in every way except financial. Seeing her alive, out, crying, smiling, holding my finger, feeding, pooping and peeing was a wonderful experiance, but all so strange. It is still weird to hold her and look at her. To smell her, kiss her and watch her sleep. To celebrate her life. My daughter. My child. My little Ophelia.

1 comment:

Jenn Turner said...

She's beautiful, Michael. I can't wait to see her in real life :) Good job Sarah!